Understanding the trail market is essential for economic development and business planning.
Over many years, the Trail Town Program® has worked with local and national partners to conduct economic research along designated trail corridors. The following reports, studies, and resources have been produced by either the Trail Town Program® or partners including the Allegheny Trail Alliance, Oil Region Alliance, and Rails to Trails Conservancy.
2021 GAP Annual Economic Impact Report
Overview: Economic Impact of Regional Trails up to 2015
2015 General Trail User Report
Great Allegheny Passage (GAP)
- 2014-15 Trail User & Business Survey Report
- 2011-12 Economic Impact Study (Trail User Survey Report and Business Survey Report)
- Lodging Correction Sheet for 2011 Trail User Survey
- 2007-08 Economic Impact Study (Full Report and Executive Summary)
*For surveys prior to 2007, contact us for additional information.
Great Allegheny Passage Trail Counts
- Analysis of 2013 Trail Usage Patterns along the GAP
- TrafX Summary: Days of the Week 2008-2015
- TrafX Summary: 2015 GAP Trends including Daily & Monthly Averages
Erie to Pittsburgh Trail (EPT)
- 2015 Business Sample Survey Report
- 2013 Erie to Pittsburgh Trail (Titusville to Parker Section) RTC Trail User Survey and Economic Impact Analysis
- 2006 Trail Utilization Survey within the Oil Heritage Region
Trans-Allegheny Trail System
- 2009 Ghost Town Trail RTC Trail User Survey and Economic Impact Analysis
- 2015 Trail User Sample Survey Highlight Report
Three Rivers Heritage Trails (Includes sections of EPT & GAP)
*For additional trail studies not listed here please visit the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy website